Friday, April 25, 2008

Goodbye P4

I'm forced to say goodbye to P4, I wouldn't if it were only possible to hold on. I'm such a nostalgic. Singapore was good fun in P4...I can only guess the atmosphere was less stressed than back in Fonty where the hardcore job seekers went. For all future students...make sure to take advantage of both campuses, I can't imagine missing this opportunity.

For those curious about the job market, I can share the following observations:
- tons of opportunities in Dubai
- high growth asain markets are more difficult, mostly closed to outsiders
- forget about finance for the moment
- an MBA doesn't guarantee a dream job, it takes hard work...and don't blame career services

My career aspirations received serious reaffirmation in the closing weeks of P4. While I started wondering if my desired path would pan out days before...a series of events played out which confirmed I was heading in the right direction. I had been gladly ignoring every single element of recruiting (except for an amazing dinner by McK :) but some (masochistic) part of me wanted to share in on all of the practice case interviews, 1st round madness, and anxiety waiting for call backs. I know it sounds stupid, I feel stupid even writing it out. It's true though, it is so easy to get caught up in the heard mentality...

Anyway, I'm more sure than ever that doing something entrepreneurial is the only path to happiness for me. While I'm sure happiness is the first priority of most...I wonder how this reconciles with begging for a job to sit over powerpoint and be a slide production machine...I guess the money is good and maybe this is happiness for some. Luckily (because my risk aversion is probably a bit too high), I'm finally confident that I'm on to a great idea, let's see if potential funders come through in p5...initial signs are positive.

So I'm moments away from hopping on a plane and seeing my loving partner. I have to admit that INSEAD (and probably all MBAs) have a reputation for being tough on relationships. I now see why. It has not been easy these past months. Distance is a killer. Intense personal growth can make the distance seem farther yet. Things happen for a reason, true happiness cannot come without short term pain. I'm confident the future is brighter as a result.

6 comments:

makis said...

I never though about this aspect of the "intense personal growth". Intriguing...

Although I am not an INSEAD student(yet), reading all this blogs has left me an opinion much like yours. All this fuss and anxiety and... and .... for some positions that I understand that they are "attractive" only if seen through the "salary"-lens. You cannot possibly achieve longer-term goals(such as professional satisfaction and personal hapiness) on such positions.!

Entrepreunship is the ideal career path for me too. This was really your goal from the beggining?

Le blog hog said...

Hi Makis,

I went into the program hoping to do something entrepreneurial straight away after. It was all dependent upon finding an idea I could be confident (enough) about and hopefully finding a good business partner in the program as well. Neither of these elements is guaranteed but I think I was able to do pretty well. The coming months will let me know for sure.

As for finding professional satisfaction and happiness through consulting or banking jobs, it may be possible for some. I would guess many of my peers entering the field will realize it is not for them at some point in the not too distant future too. On the bright side, these jobs can open doors to many bigger and better things. So a few years toughing it out may bring long term happiness in the end.

makis said...

le blog hog,

I am wishing you good luck on everything you are on at the time being. I am sure it will be a success!

Plans have changed and I am preparing something entrepreneurial myself. Hope everything goes ok.

Good luck(for one more time!)!

Anonymous said...

I love your blog. I am giving serious thought to applying to INSEAD, and I think my grades and GMAT are good enough, but I am really concerned about the language certification. My second language (I guess) would be hebrew, which I studied for a few years in high school. I speak well enough to communicate with people at the airport or at the hotel lobby or restaurants when I visit Israel, but i certainly can't speak it in an office setting. I really am concerned that even if I get accepted, I will flunk the second language requirement. Do you know how difficult it is, generally speaking? Do you know other people who got in to INSEAD but then failed to get the language certification?? I would greatly appreciate your advice. PS- sorry I am off the topic, but I think your blog is very helpful and I would love your insight. Thank you

Unknown said...

Hey Hog,

I'm very frustrated not to read your P5 experience! I guess you must have been so busy interviewing over the world or shaping up your entrepreneurial projects. I do hope to meet you in Paris some day.

All the best to you!
D.

Anonymous said...

Hi Le blog hog -

I was recently admitted, and I've had some of the worst cases of cold feet going into this that anyone must ever have had (e.g. attending or not, and then Fonty vs. S'pore). I share your goals of entrepreneurship and hope I can find a good opportunity and good people while in school. How would you say INSEAD has affected / is affecting your entrepreneurial aspriations. Do you think it has augmented your potential due to the networking aspect and business plan competitions or has it weighed you down more due to student loans, decreased capital? Also, how many business plan competitions took place while you were there? Lastly, did you find S'pore to me a much stronger environment for entrepreneurs as I suspect?

Looks like my return email address isn't working in Blogger I'll encode it here:
r_i_c_k_s_h_e_r AT g_m_a_i_l_._c_o_m

-R