Tuesday, April 10, 2007

The toughest part of the INSEAD MBA

I have been told that the most difficult part of obtaining an top-tier MBA is just getting admitted. At this point I would agree, I have had admission related stress stemming back at least 10 months. It typically starts with the GMAT followed by essays and letters of recommendation. With some luck, you can then progress to stressing out about a few interviews.

I actually have a few additional stress factors that (thankfully) not all will be have to share. First was the wait list. While a brilliant tool for admissions to "manage diversity", the wait list is hell for any candidate. If you've only applied to INSEAD, it is even worse. I think I now know how a co-dependent person in an abusive relationship might feel. After professing your undying love for this person/school, they basically tell you that you aren't as pretty as all of the others but they'll keep you around for a while. You then second guess everything you have done... was it something I said or did? Don't bother asking them; you will only be brushed off without any real explanations. Nevertheless, you tell them how much you still love them and want to be with them. In fact, you tell them that you are willing to wait for however long it takes for them to realize you are right together... You tell yourself that you should have known better, but you have no other options at this point. If only I would have diversified my risks and applied to more schools... but we were just so right for each other.

Well now that I am off the wait list, I can almost have a sense of humor about it. In addition, I can now get on to basking in the "I'm going to INSEAD" glory. Ahh, but then I do have one more hurdle to clear, that is the entry language requirement of INSEAD. I have the feeling there are not too many others in this boat with me and that is one of the great things about INSEAD; most of my future classmates were probably speaking 2+ languages by the time they were done with elementary school. Not me unfortunately, so it is going to be a stressful few more weeks as I put together a strategy for passing some sort of language test.

The good news is once I pass this test (and pay 48,000EUR of course) I think it will be almost impossble not to walk away with on of the world's best MBA degrees in just over 12 months!

6 comments:

necromonger said...

Hey Hog Du Blog - I found you through hallonman's blog..will add you up on my list too.

Great to know you got off the waitlist -- must feel good. Are you starting in Sing or Fonty?

Le blog hog said...

Hi Necromonger,

Nice work on your blog! I really like the original graphics.

Will start at Fonty but hope to join the majority going over to Sinapore in P3.

sunslinger said...

Hi le blog hog,

Congrats on being taken off the waitlist. I know exactly how you feel, I'm on the waitlist from R2 application as well and your description of a co-dependent in an abusive relationship was hilarious, but spot-on. Like you, I too applied only to INSEAD, thinking it the best fit.

Did you wait it out the waitlist or did you have some sort of strategy? If yes, I'd love to hear your insights!

Cheers,
sunslinger
http://sunslinger.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Hi Le blog hog

I m having the same fate as yours. I am on the waitlist for Jan 2008 start. I was R3 applicant.
I have already written to the ad com showing my strong motivation and other achievement updates.

As you hav been thru this agony, can you suggest what should I do ?
Do you hav any kinda stats for the waitlist candidates ?

Thanks

Anonymous said...

I have been waitlist for january 2009. How long normally do they take to inform if you will be accepted or be rejected. Should I contact Insead to ask the reasons for my status. Something i could change or do to improve my chances? Thanks.

Anonymous said...

yup....ur comparison of the waitlist with the abusive partner was on the money! waitlist on Jan 2010!!