Thursday, August 9, 2007

P0 is coming to an end

The first day of welcome week is just over 2 weeks away. There are so many things I want to do in this calm before the storm...

- update CV and convert to INSEAD format
- conduct serious homework on PE field, deals, players, etc
- brainstorm entrepreneurial options
- connect with boss of 3 years and 2 jobs ago (there may be an ingesting project in Europe post-INSEAD and, anyways, I've got to start fine tuning the networking skills!)
- study more for my exit language test (I now think a 3 week intensive course is just shy of what I need to pass)
- plan first house dinner/party
- play lots of golf (great success on this one!!)

Unfortunately, my average daily productivity has been languishing at < 4 hours per day of value added work. While the average resident of France may consider this crazy I-banker type of hours, it won't cut it once P1 begins... I've been browsing past intake blogs to get a feel for what I'm in for come August 27. It seems that welcome week will be no walk in the park; aside from lots of administrative work, there are introductory lectures and even an initial group project to complete. Combine this with trying to make 400 witty first impressions and I anticipate a seriously hectic time. Plus, the first weekend will be comprised of only Sunday...we've got 10 hour days lined up Monday through Saturday.

Hectic but sure to be an exhilaratingly fun week as well. I'm especially interested in who will end up in my group! Got my fingers crossed that it will be a likable group, but given the administrations aim at creating a dysfunctional mix, there are sure to be challenges ahead. All part of the fun and something only INSEAD can bring given the diversity of the class!

1 comment:

zizouman said...

Hey you,
Many thanks for you blog, I applied for R3 in the Jan 09 Intake and am experiencing the way too long wait for the results.
Your blog, and those of other INSEADers help me a lot through this wait.
Just one remark...I know most people think we don't work in France, but this is through for the basic low level worker and administration staff. I am in Management in a multinational company and I work about at least 65 hours a week and know plenty of people in management that work as much as I do.
I worked for 3 yaers in the US and know we get, for example, less vacation there, but please stop making general statements like this about the lazy guys working in France because this does not apply to everyone.

PS : Your blog is great, please continue, I am also starting one on my side.
How did you do to have your blog linked to other INSEADers blogs ?

regards and best of luck for what's coming ...