Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Nervous anticipation

My INSEAD life begins in a matter of days; this morning I am starting to realize it. I have a bit of a knot in my stomach...not sure if it is more nerves or excitement. Nerves because I am going from a VERY relaxed summer break to a VERY hectic INSEAD schedule where even Saturdays and Sundays are fair game for scheduled classes. It feels like I'm waiting for the starters gun at a big race...I can't even enjoy these last moments of tranquility.

The nerves also come from the huge expectations I have for myself to come away from this experience with not only great memories and friends, but a career that I am for once fulfilled by. For me, at this moment, this means something very entrepreneurial. IDEAL SCENARIO: I meet the partner of my dreams (business partner that is) and launch some business or start a small turnaround operation. A less risky alternative would be to do a stint in Private Equity although I'm not sure how many openings for these jobs will be around next year (it is a very closed industry and no formal recruiting programs on campus, plus the industry has peaked and there's no telling what toll the credit crunch will play on upcoming deals). A more practical alternative would be to do a stint in a corporation in business development. So where do I dedicate my energy over the next year... how do I juggle my dream with what's practical so that I don't fall short on all options???

Also nervous because I move away from my true partner, the most important person in my life! Luckily she is incredibly supportive and we will no doubt make it through the MBA (a.k.a. divorce degree) as we have made it through similar challenges in the past. Finally, that 3rd language test lingers in my mind...test is one week from tomorrow, let's see how it goes!

But finally, I think it is more excitement than anything. I'm already hearing (and seeing on youtube) great stories from the Fundamentals program which I chose not to attend. Plus, many of my roommates have already moved in leaving me now very anxious to join the fun. The packing is almost complete, France here I come!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heyy Le blog hog...
This is Deepak Rao from India. I am an INSEAD enthusiast. Hoping to join it next year. Hoping and working at it too. I would love to know some details from you if you can spare a few minutes. Kindly let me know how and when i can contact you.

Thanks,
Deepak

Anonymous said...

Good luck with your language test.

If you don't mind, drop me a comment and let me know how it goes. I'll have to take mine eventually as well.

Youssef said...

Bonsoir Mr Hog,

I made it to INSEAD and am planning on attending starting January 2008!

All the best to you and see you sometime next year!

Youssef.

N said...

Could not find your email address.

Anyway, i am an Insead alum, and chosen to recommend your blog on blogday2007.

Unfortunately, my blog on hi techmarketing is in Hebrew. The specific blogday2007 post is bilingual.
http://cafe.themarker.com/view.php?t=129618
Enjoy welcome week,
Neta

Le blog hog said...

Hey dtlf,

I'm still iffy on if I passed or not, we should know the results this week. Key is to know the basic grammer and know some key phrases that you can throw into the sentance or essay parts.

Le blog hog said...

Neta,

Thanks for the recommendation! Hopefully I can squeeze some blogging into this hectic INSEAD pace.