Sunday, October 21, 2007

Who cares about MBA exams


My first ever MBA final will held tomorrow morning followed shortly thereafter by a second in the afternoon. Tuesday looks the same and then by noon on Wednesday, we will be celebrating the end of P1 (or wondering where the hell it went).

But why, I wonder, is there so much anxiety about these final exams.

Did I pay 50,000EUR to stress out once every 2 months and try to cram cram cram....NO. Sure I want to learn, but anything I wasn't capable of absorbing in the past 2 months probably won't stick if I try to jam in in my head with 500 other concepts in a 72 cram session.

Is there a chance that any of us will walk away without a diploma...Ha! are you kidding. I stopped worrying about that after I passed my 3rd language requirment with a score of 50/100 where pass requirement was...well 50/100.

Don't I want to work my ass of to make dean's list...not a chance, and the day someone comes to my office looking for a job and claims that being on the dean's list makes them a good candidate....see ya...it's laughable that the likes of McK & some big banks can drive students to strive for the DL. Smart of them, now it they want to know who will be willing to sacrifice all aspects of their personal life for an overrated job, they have a good proxy.

Why are all these consultants, who already have guaranteed jobs to go back to, interupting class to ask if X & Y will be tested on the exam, or if the professor can provide 20 more practice tests for them to do!?!?!? Is it just some irrational competitive drive. For me, it shows a lack of touch with reality. Even the professors repeatedly tell these people that the tests are not what's important, most think there shouldn't even be final exams in a masters program.

Results on the finals will be correlated to absolutely nothing that's important in life, so let's stop stressing people.

No comments: