Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Anonymous MBA blogger...

Great INSEAD blogger DomoDomo gave me a tip when I started writing this blog; if possible, try to remain anonymous.

I think there are a few major advantages to anonymity:

1) freedom of expression: less fear of personal retribution for all the upcoming controversial opinions, INSEAD dirt, class gossip, etc. etc.

2) separation of self from blogger: I prefer people’s perceptions of me come from real interaction rather than what I choose to write

3) protection of reputation: family, colleagues, future business partners, etc. shouldn’t know all the details of the fun that will be had over the next year

Unfortunately, blogging anonymously from within a community of 400 students is definitely not easy. Domo also warned me of the blogger spotters… There is probably no use in spending too much time worrying about it; anyone who spends enough time deciphering the clues will be able to identify an anonymous blogger at some point. The point for me is to not broadcast who I am, if someone wants to work hard enough to figure it out, maybe I should be honored!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hog, I'm in the same boat. It's actually quite easy to crack "anonymous" blogs. I've "unmasked" three through simple correlation thusfar, and I imagine my own is not too difficult to crack.

I need more data for you, though ;)

DomoDomo@INSEAD said...

Hog,
I totally agree with your account. By the time you get spotted, you'd have created enough solid relationships... By now, I think some people know my identity. It's also that, you don't want the Dean to send you an email to remove a particular post, right? That never happened to me, but I understand others were not as fortunate.
Take care.

Bubbly said...

guys why every1 talks to domodomo and not me? the official blogger?

necromonger said...

I agree with the anonymity, but I think sooner or later some will find out. But it doesn't matter so much because it's not like they will go around publishing it on CNN ;)

Res I(p)sa said...

to reveal or not to reveal? just started my own stream of consciousness and am on the fence on the anonymity question; left some pretty obvious clues, i doubt it will take long for people to find me... i look forward to trying to solve the rest of you!