Thursday, May 17, 2007

INSEAD language requirement = facile

It’s finally time to break out the champagne!! After (finally) getting accepted and sparing no time in enjoying the newfound respect from friends & colleagues, having my parents brag about it to anyone who actually knew what and where in the world INSEAD was, and informing my employer that I thought it was a scam to steal other peoples’ watches and then tell them the time, I no longer have the fear that it will all come back to bite me in the ass.

With INSEADs entry language requirement, I had this nagging fear that I would fail to prove the required “practical” level in my second language and that I would have to retreat from my planned 2008 MBA like a puppy with it’s tail between it’s legs. Well hard work has paid off…I even passed with flying colors! This was actually a shock to me (and I think my language teacher as well). If anyone out there has similar concerns about passing the requirement and is wondering which test or certification may offer the best odds….let me know. The route I followed was easier than I had hoped!

The goal is, of course, to become much better in languages. While English is certainly the lingua franca in business today (at least for global players), I have seen how some ability in other languages can go a long way. Just putting in the effort wins a lot of points with foreign business partners. So, one of my goals in the coming year is to be able to have decent conversations in 2 languages outside of English. Shouldn’t be a problem, my future housemates combine to speak at least 5 different languages fluently…I have to be sure to take advantage of that!

12 comments:

Bubbly said...

le blog de hog why don't you add me to your list?

you do not like my blog?

http://zanat0s.typepad.com

Le blog hog said...

Hey Zanat0s

I don't have a problem with your blog but I don't like your marketing style for 2 reasons.

1) you regularly spam chat boards and blog comment areas (like mine)...why isn't one post enough, i know it's fun to see how many readers you can bring to your site but you should balance this with the annoyancy factor

2) before you post on my site 3 times about putting up a link to you, isn't it common courtesy that you reciprocate? if you had a link to my site, i would return the favor

Dorothy @ INSEAD said...

le blog hog,

What helped you with the language requirement? I'm taking the TEF in 2 weeks, but waiting for the interview decision for the Dec 2008 class is distracting me bit...

Thanks!

Le blog hog said...

Hi Robin,

I prepared for the DELF exam. Did you know you could also pass the requirements through a test at the language center associated with INSEAD (i.e. FLAC in Fonty)...

Anonymous said...

"If anyone out there has similar concerns about passing the requirement and is wondering which test or certification may offer the best odds….let me know. The route I followed was easier than I had hoped!"

can u tell me a bit more about this route you followed?

freshblogger said...

I just completed my interviews and am awaiting final word on admission for Sept 2008. I'd like to take you up on your offer to give advice on the easiest route for approaching the INSEAD language requirement. I'm currently studying for the entry language requirement. Planning to take the DELF (French), but interested on your advice on which path you advise.

Thanks!

Le blog hog said...

I was also planning on taking the DELF. I would advise you to take the entry test that is given by the language school associated with INSEAD. It is their own version and while I wasn't sure I was going to pass the DELF, I passed their second language test by a decent margin.

karibusana said...

Le Blog Hog,

Great blog! I have to meet the lanuage entry requirement by Nov 1. Can you please give me some tips on how to prepare and how much time you dedicated to this?

I studied French in high school but haven't used it since.

Looking forward to your thoughts!

THANKS!

AngryCustomer said...

Where do u take the exam which is offerd by the school associated with INSEAD? I am in the US, the only exam offered here prior to nov 1st is the TEF exam, and I don't even know if my score will reach in time! (I will have to take it oct 3rd). Plus the TEF looks so HARD!

I don't think I can make it out to fonty to take the test....

AngryCustomer said...

Also, what materials did u use to prepare for the french exam?

Anonymous said...

Is there a way that I could talk to you more about satisfying the entry requirement? I am in the exact same boat... English as a first language and stressed out about passing a French exam to satisfy my second entry requirement. I have found that there are few like me out there, and limited information on what the exams are actually like.

bruingal02@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Thank you for your wonderful post on INSEAD's language requirement.

I'm beginning to work towards this, and was curious if I could simply pass the tests that Alliance Francaise has? (I'm guessing they're associated with INSEAD)